In the last few years, the Metal Industry has undergone through important changes due to two key factors.
European companies have increasingly placed quality at the centre of their strategy, focusing on the introduction of excellence products into the production chain, improving efficiency and metal yield, and eliminating the possibility of processing radioactive materials.
In order not to lose market shares and marginality, companies operating in the metal industry have had to cope with the consequences of such a change, reacting quickly to manage much larger and heterogenous areas of action.
sedApta Suite, the solution for orchestrating Metal’s complex production processes
sedApta Suite, is proposed as a useful tool to simplify this transition process and change.
Its modules allow to supervise complex supply chains which include production plants, distribution facilities, subcontractors and suppliers all in a single orchestrated and synchronized perspective.
sedApta Suite’s goal is to manage and synchronize all the key production processes.
From S&OP process (that includes the demand forecast, the logical and physical warehouses management, strategical and tactical planning of the entire supply chain) to MOM process (that includes scheduling of individual production departments, monitoring of production progresses at manufacturing plants and from remote at suppliers’ and subcontractors’ facilities).
As concerns the Metal field, sedApta Suite allows:
- the definition of production campaigns for the optimization of set-up times on critical equipments
- the definition of the details of the order, in particular to generate cycles and BOMs according to the dimensional/qualitative features of the material (e.g. on a pipe: length, diameter, thickness and steel grade)
- the flexibility in the management of cycles and multi-level BOMs, for example if the number of the operations is not known in advance (e.g. operations entered after measurements/quality checks, potentially several times)
- the optimization of the cutting plan to minimize the scrap
- the optimal allocation of the warehouse with a choice between alternative raw materials, e.g. different steel qualities in order to maximize volumes produced and minimize shortages.
Planning, supervision and management of business processes and supply chain
The extreme flexibility and scalability of sedApta Suite make the transition to sophisticated planning systems with finite capacity scheduling more gradual and non-invasive from a Smart Manufacturing perspective.
The logic of planning and supervision of the supply chain and management of business processes are handled by a collaborative IT system in a coordinated and synchronized way.
Thereby it is possible to delete or decrease significantly reduce inefficiencies and leakage caused by non-harmonized approaches to the various processes.
Expected benefits from sedApta Suite implementation
- Greater reliability of sales forecast verified at finite capacity, thanks to periodic reviews shared among sales force and production planning
- Rationalisation of the steel/raw material quality available in storage, determining the best stock allocation to orders to maximize produced volumes
- Product yield’s improvement (scrap reduction)
- Increase in service levels to over 90%
- Decrease of raw and semi-finished materials stocks
- Optimization of finished product stocks
- Increased reliability of the customer order dating process
- Optimization of setup times and service levels according to company goals
- Rationalisation of purchasing process and greater visibility on requirements, also in terms of metal quality
- Greater integration between company departments
Metal companies supported by sedApta Suite
sedApta’s solutions are successfully used by several customers operating in the Metal Industry. Among them, we include:
- Acciaierie Speciali Terni
- Acciaierie Bertoli Safu
- Fonderia Taroni
- Gruppo Cividale
- Prysmian Cavi e Sistemi Italia
- Smst Mannesmann
- Teksid Aluminum